Monday 19 January 2009

Things forgotten

I visited my father over Christmas and I returned laden with boxes of floppy disks and VHS videos. I don't have the facility to currently play video cassettes, but I'll leave that to the future. Most of the cassettes aren't labelled and I know I've got a lot of memories to watch in the future, be it long-forgotten comedies, dramas and perhaps other things which have never been repeated on television.

I have the facility to access the diskettes however, and I can remember when I heard about how new Macs came without a disk drive and thinking that was stupid; how times change. I'm possibly halfway through the process of backing up what I can onto a hard drive and it is proving to be a fascinating peek into my history. The disks so far cover the years 1994 to 2004. There are games I've written and lost or left unfinished, backups of emails sent and received, photos, coursework, fiction, poetry, letters written and a lot more. There are examples of websites, Usenet and other protocols in relative infancy.

I'm remembering things that I'd long forgotten. As Nietzche once said: the advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. I'm looking forward sifting through it all in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment