Monday 19 January 2009

Purchasing meat for the first time in years

I recently went to the local supermarket with the intention of perhaps consuming some bacon in the café. The café was packed however, so I decided not to wait. I had a look at the chilled/frozen meat section (two aisles; perhaps 5% of it has vegetarian fare). There is so much choice, even in the bacon section! I thought I would leave the buying of meat for a while, as you can only seem to buy bacon and sausages in multiple quantities; perhaps I should try a butcher's shop one day.

Anyway, I noticed that they sell fast-food style boxes at the meat counter. What caught my eye was a chicken burger or a dual-sausage bun. I asked for the sausage bun meal (bun, two pork sausages, sauce sachet and wedges). When I was at the checkout I had a familiar feeling: that of trepidation.

On arriving home and after putting the other food away, I opened the box. It stuck me how sausages (both meat and soya-based) have little aesthetic merit.. I added the sauce to the bun and tuck in. It tasted nice, really nice. I'm sure to a regular meat eater it probably would have tasted simply okay or perhaps even a little bland, but my mouth told my head that it was lovely, as if I was quaffing a glass of expensive wine. Any doubts or guilt about eating it vanished after two bites and I ate it all. Ironically, the wedges weren't very nice and I left most of them.

Minutes later when retrieving a drink from the fridge, my saliva glands drooled with satisfaction. I cannot remember drooling at vegetarian food. Should I wish, I have the full panoply of food in the supermarket to try. This journey is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment